Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Donkey Dogs

I recently had the opportunity to sample donkey dogs here in Lima.

What are donkey dogs?

Donkey dogs are hot dogs made out of donkey meat.

I already see some of you grimacing!

Donkey dogs were not the tastiest hot dogs that I'd ever enjoyed. They were a little gamey, and not very flavorful, but that was about it. I didn't get sick after eating them, but then again they're never going to be on my Top 10 list of favorite things to eat in Peru.

However, I did win big-time "brownie points" with the locals who served me the donkey dogs. They were delighted that a gringo was willing to share in this local delicacy (although I use the word "delicacy" quite lightly). Downing a couple of donkey dogs enabled me to connect with them and meet them where they were, from both a cultural and gastronomic standpoint.

I don't know if they have donkey dogs wherever in the world that you are doing ministry, or what might be the local equivalent of donkey dogs, but be careful not to stick your nose in the air and refuse to eat something local just because it looks weird or is something that you've never had before. Don't lose an opportunity to connect culturally and gastronomically in this way. It might wind up endearing you to the locals and boosting your ministry big-time.

No comments: