Monday, November 22, 2010

JFK

Today is the 47th anniversary of the assassination of U.S. President John F. Kennedy in Dallas, Texas, on November 22, 1963.

Last April my wife, Dorcas, and I were in Dallas, and we visited the Sixth Floor Museum, located on the sixth floor of the former Texas School Book Depository building. That is the building and the floor where the U.S. government alleged that Lee Harvey Oswald hid and shot President Kennedy as the presidential motorcade slowly passed through Dealey Plaza.

The Sixth Floor Museum is a compelling place to visit, especially for someone such as myself who grew up in the Boston area, surrounded by the Kennedy legacy.

Our Sixth Floor Museum visit also gave me pause for spiritual thought about the JFK assassination. JFK was a young man, just 46 years old, when he died. I'm 45 now. JFK was energetic and charismatic and captivated the entire world during his time in the White House. But then it all ended very quickly and very violently one sunny Friday afternoon in Dallas. I often wonder what JFK's last thoughts were in the final seconds before he was killed.

In Psalm 39:4-5 (TNIV), David sings, "Show me, Lord, my life's end and the number of my days; let me know how fleeting my life is. You have made my days a mere handbreadth; the span of my years is as nothing before you. Everyone is but a breath, even those who seem secure."

JFK's life's end happened 47 years ago today and, 47 years later, it still stands a good lesson to all of us about how fleeting life truly is.

www.celebrationchampions.com
www.twitter.com/StephenGuschov
Facebook: Celebration Champions Church
Facebook: Stephen Guschov

No comments: