Thursday, October 13, 2011

Suffering For Christ



In 2 Corinthians 11:23-28 (NKJV), the Apostle Paul wrote to the Christians in the city of Corinth about how he had been suffering for Christ. Paul listed the multitude of sufferings that he had endured, including how he had been "in labors more abundant, in stripes above measure, in prisons more frequently, in deaths often. From the Jews five times I received forty stripes minus one. Three times I was beaten with rods; once I was stoned; three times I was shipwrecked; a night and a day I have been in the deep; in journeys often, in perils of waters, in perils of robbers, in perils of my own countrymen, in perils of the Gentiles, in perils in the city, in perils in the wilderness, in perils in the sea, in perils among false brethren; in weariness and toil, in sleeplessness often, in hunger and thirst, in fastings often, in cold and nakedness - besides the other things, what comes upon me daily: my deep concern for all the churches."


In today's day and age, the vast majority of Christians have absolutely no interest in suffering for Christ as Paul did.


In today's day and age, the vast majority of Christians are more concerned with personal comfort, materialistic prosperity, and earthly treasures.


In today's day and age, that is why the church is becoming more and more irrelevant in so much of the world.


In today's day and age, the church needs fewer comfort-seekers.


In today's day and age, the church needs more Pauls.

No comments: