Monday, April 27, 2009

867-5309 Lima

Peruvians have a unique telephone culture.

If someone is trying to reach me by phone, whether they're calling the church office or my cellphone, & if I do not pick up, then they'll just keep calling & calling the number, again & again, perhaps 10 times in a row, or 20 times over the course of an hour.

And we do have voice mail on all office phones & cell phones! The Peruvian preference, however, in the majority of cases, seems to be to just keep calling & calling, instead of leaving a message, even if I ask them to do so.

In the USA, I'd call someone once. If they didn't pick up, I'd leave a message. I'd only keep calling repeatedly if it was an emergency.

Here in Peru, it's different.

If you're going to be doing international ministry in Peru, be prepared for a constantly ringing phone, & it may be the same person calling you 10 or 20 times!

No comments: