Monday, April 20, 2009

Dual Citizenship

I am an American citizen, but since I live here in Lima, Peru, I also have a Residential Visa from the Republic of Peru. I've had the visa for about 5 years now.

I am coming up to the time when I may apply for Peruvian citizenship. As a Peruvian citizen, I would be eligible to receive a DNI (Peruvian National Identity) card & a Peruvian passport. I also would be obligated to vote in all local, municipal, & national Peruvian elections, no matter where I might be in the world, under the penalty of a fine if I do not vote. I also am investigating the other benefits and responsibilities of having dual citizenship w/ the USA & w/ Peru.

I am interested in hearing from any of you out there who read this blog & who have dual citizenship. It doesn't matter to me which 2 countries are involved. It doesn't have to be the USA & Peru.

If you have dual citizenship, please let me know the benefits & responsibilities, the pros & cons, the pluses & minuses, the positives & negatives, etc. Your insight & advice will be very much appreciated!

No comments: