Friday, July 3, 2009

Apprentice

I recently participated in a conference in Lima where all of us were asked to stand up & tell the crowd about our educational background & our professional experience.

All of the conference participants immediately began to tell the crowd about all of the wonderful universities, institutes, & seminaries that they had attended, & about all of the wonderful degrees that they held, & about all of the wonderful work that they now were doing.

It was all very impressive.

And very self-congratulatory.

Then they all looked at me.

I suppose I could have told them all about my Bachelor of Arts in Political Science from Boston University, & my Juris Doctor from Suffolk University Law School, & my various careers as a lawyer, a writer, & a pastor.

But I didn't.

I chose not to do so.

Instead, I merely told the conference crowd what I truly was, & what I truly am.

I am an apprentice to a Jewish carpenter.

And that's all the education & professional experience that I'll ever need.

No comments: