Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Criticism

John Maxwell has written a great book called "Leadership Gold: Lessons I've Learned from a Lifetime of Leading."

I just finished reading & leading a study group about Chapter 4 in Maxwell's book. Chapter 4 talks about how to handle criticism. I love the title of the chapter: "When You Get Kicked in the Rear, You Know You're out in Front."

Maxwell says, "when you're out front and ahead of the crowd, everything you do attracts attention." He gives advice on how to handle criticism and how to hold up under criticism. The chapter includes a great quote from Perry Noble, the Senior Pastor of NewSpring Church in South Carolina (USA), with regard to always defending one's self against criticism. Noble says, " ... I realized I was spending way too much time defending myself to my critics and not getting done what I really needed to get done."

Maxwell concludes, " ... (As) leaders, we will give others our best, and we will sometimes take hits from others. But that's okay. That is the price for being out front."

How do you handle criticism? How do you hold up under criticism? What are your deficiencies? How secure are you as a leader? How do others you lead handle criticism? How do they respond? Are they (and you) open to improvement and change?

The answers to these questions may determine how impactful you can and will be in your church, ministry, and life.

No comments: